Cook: Coconut and Cacao Balls
Get ready for bite sized deliciousness. These coconut and cacoa balls taste so good it's hard to believe they are sugar free and packed with healthy nutrients.
This recipe will make 20 balls.
- 8 large dates
- 4 tablespoons of coconut revolution coconut oil dietary
- ½ cup of almond meal
- ½ cup of LSA which is made from ground linseeds, sunflower seeds and almonds. (This is an easy, extremely versatile way to add extra nutrients to meals. LSA is rich in protein, which helps to keep your blood-sugar levels balanced and curb sugar cravings)
- 4 tablespoons of unsweetened cocoa powder (we love the Henry Langdon brand!)
- 4 tablespoons of cocoa butter
- 4 tablespoons of shredded unsweetened coconut
1. Remove the date pits and chop. Buy the soft dates that you select from the fruit and veg section of the supermarket or fruit shop rather than the pre-packaged dates in the dried fruit section.
2. Melt the coconut oil by resting in a warm place or sitting the container in a bowl of warm water.
3. Blend all ingredients in a blender or food processor. This requires a bit of patience and moving the content around a few times so it all blends. It’s a very sticky mixture so you need to shift it around the blender (when its switched off) with a spatula.
4. When its all ground together its like a paste. Scrape the mixture out of the blender into a mixing bowl.
5. Wash your hands and then massage a little coconut oil on your hand and then kneed the mixture into one large ball. Then take a teaspoon and spoon small amounts of the mixture into your hands and roll it into round balls. Continue until all the mixture is used.
6. Roll each ball in desiccated coconut and rest in the fridge for 30 - 60 mins until firm. The balls will last for up to two weeks in an airtight container in the fridge.
We have tried and tested this recipe extensively. All the ingredients in this recipe are nutrient dense - the mixture is jam packed with goodness and with flavour. We recommend moderate consumption with teaspoon size serves and not tablespoon size portions.
*Warning: Due to said deliciousness, it can be very hard to stop at one.